ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:15:05 -0600
Kathy,

I probably can guess  your reasons but would be interested in them as well
the opposed view which you started to elude to when you described the
governmentally run church there. and actually I've witnessed sucha one man
show, dictatorship or whatever it might be called, a church that really
wasn't going anywhere or worse one that runs off beaten paths and gets a
bit out there doctrinally. It can indeed be not good.   I've also witnessed
a church with a pastor with enough latitude to hear from God and act on it,
and be accountable to a board if things should get questionable, and I
might add those board members prayed with and for the pastor and it wasn't
necessarily one person's  runaway decision, it also wasn't folks on a board
being deceptive in presenting cases because there was no case to be
deceptive of, they simply sought God and it was known and they acted upon
what God told them in their seeking. Sometimes it took a long time to get
the answer and there was no sense of urgency unless it was an emergency
situation. If there was a conflict ever I suppose the pastor would have the
tie breaking  decision because he is the shepherd of that flock and if the
elders, or board were that unhappy, they could remove him from pastorship,
and he knew that, but yet was afforded room to act on what God told him,
and behind closed doors I doubt it went without confirmation of some kind
as well. Trust, lots of trust and confidence in both the pastor and the
staf. Conversely, try to get a room of people to decide on  something
when  there are two or more preconceived agendas going into a meeting and
it becomes a competition of persuasion and where is God then in it? I'm not
suggesting it is  all this way in either case  and could well be totally
off my nut :). But just my observations over the years being involved in
worship ministry  in a few churches and not shooting perceptions from the pew.

Brad