ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:29:06 -0500
The Call to Commitment

Romans 12:1-3

What does "commitment" mean to you? While it's a word that we all know, we

may not truly understand the full implications of a solid, unwavering
commitment.

One of Scripture's clearest teachings on commitment is Romans 12:1-3, in
which Paul calls believers to present their bodies as a "living sacrifice"
unto
the Lord. Think about that image. How did people in the Old Testament offer
sacrifices? They took them to the temple, surrendered them to the priest,
and
then walked away.

They walked away. They did not keep their hands on what they brought to the
Lord. They did not offer it temporarily or expect to get it back. They
simply
gave it up, trusting that God would honor their sacrifice.

Does this kind of complete surrender characterize your commitment to the
Lord? Have you fully and completely given yourself over to His will, His
guidance,
and His purposes?

Many people cannot answer yes to these questions. Such hesitant believers
may profess a saving faith in Christ, but it is almost as though they
envision
a little contract between themselves and God. They think, You can have me
now, Jesus, as long as you take care of me. If something bad happens to me,
though,
I'm going to take my sacrifice back.

Is your commitment contingent upon God's blessings? Do you face your
hardships with joy (James 1:2), or do your struggles chip away at your holy
commitment
bit by bit? Active, growing faith requires your total surrender to God. Are
you ready to make that sacrifice?