ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:30:43 -0400
Vicki,
         I finished up with my participation in the sleep study  at
the beginning of the month and when I was done, so far, they had only
had 750 people fill out the questionaire, and they're hoping for
30,000, and I was the 50th person to do the 8 week in depth study and
they were hoping for 240, so they still need many more
participants.  I guess that that's why I'm pushing it.  I think that
it will be a valuable study when it is done.  People who lose their
sight later in life really have big sleep issues because melatonin is
regulated through the eyes and blind people often have their
melatonin production all out of wack because their eyes aren't
functioning properly.  They want people who have problems to
participate to see if there is a common thread as to why and they
want people who don't have problems to take the survey and so forth
to see if anything can be learned from the successful one to help
those who aren't.  Part of the reason that your doctor hasn't been
able to offer much help is because everything is a guess right now as
to what will help and what won't.  I believe that the need for this
study has come to the fore because, as many people live longer, loss
of eye sight through diabetes and macular degeneration, not to
mention cataracts, which almost everyone develops eventually has made
sleep issues in the visually impaired, a more popular problem.
         Okay, I'm off my soapbox and I won't say anything more.
Kathy