ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Teri Van Pelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 02:12:00 -0500
You remember The short finger play as a child, "Where is Thumbkin?" ?
Well, here is a copy to refresh your memory...
Where is Thumbkin
(Start with hands behind back)
Where is thumbkin?
Where is thumbkin?
Here I am (Bring right hand to front, with thumb up)
Here I am. (Bring left hand to front, with thumb up)
How are you today sir?
Very well, I thank you. (Wiggle thumbs as if they're 'talking' to each
other)
Run away (Hide right hand behind back)
Run away. (Hide left hand behind back)
Continue with rest of fingers:
Where is pointer? Where is middle man? Where is ring man? Where is
pinkie? Where's the whole family?

Well, anyway the other day, Something reminded me of some the
finger plays that my mom played with me.  I remember as a small child
sitting there in awe as she made the thumb and each finger
disappear.  However, I always felt so sad cause each finger / thumb
would run away.  I thought actually that maybe it was because I had
something to do with it somehow!!!  Talk about abandonment
issues!!!  But, then I thought of another play she also did with me and
that was Here is the Church...

Here's the church,
(fingers interlocked; fingers inside)
And here's the steeple.
(index fingers rise to a point)
Open the door
(keep fingers interlocked but turn palms up)
There are all the people.
(wriggle fingers)

So,  the Church has been there even when my family ran away.