ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:09:07 -0500
Formula for Personal Growth

James 1:22-25

God was gracious enough to provide us a sure formula for personal spiritual
growth: Instruction plus involvement equals spiritual growth.

James tells us that the first step is to be an effective, involved listener
of the Word. If we just read the Bible or listen to a sermon and do not
concentrate
on the material, or if we allow ourselves to be distracted, then we are not
absorbing the instruction God intends for us. There are two kinds of
listeners,
one who is careless and one who is intent and attentive.

However, instruction alone does not grow the Christian. Unfortunately, many
believers mistakenly assume that more factual knowledge of the Bible equals
more intimate knowledge of God and His ways.

The only way to grow spiritually is to make the truth you learn your very
own, to grasp it and apply it to your life. You are to become a doer of the
Word.

Jesus involved Himself in the lives of people, from the "elite" to the most
despised and rejected sinners. We are to use Him as our model as we love
others
(the Great Commandment), witness to others (the Great Commission), and serve
others (the Great Commitment).

All believers have the life of Christ living within them through the Holy
Spirit. And remember, Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever.