ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:10:44 -0700
Here is a chapter from my free online book I wrote several years ago.  The
book is just called, The Deceitfulness of Sin.  Do not become confused about
what I say about people gifted in casting out of demons from Christians.  I
use that term loosely, that is, casting demons out of Christians, because I
bent over backwards Scripturally documenting how demon possession is
literally impossible for a born again Christian.  Casting out is only an old
King James term we still use today but it doesn't have the same meaning.
Driving away, commanding them to go away, and the like are better
interpretations.  In fact, the Greek word for possession of a devil in the
New Testament doesn't mean possession at all.  It is literally interpreted
to be demonized.  You means, there is a difference?  Of course there is
because Christians cannot be demon possessed.  Hunt for the articles where I
have written extensively on this topic on my website.  In fact, there is a
single link on my front page with dozens of articles I have written from
personal experience relating to this topic just called Demons and
Demonology.

Phil.

                     CHAPTER 14  RENEWING THE MIND

                            Romans  12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye
present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
which is your reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world:
but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove
what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

     The word for "transformed" is the Greek word from which we get
the English word "metamorphosis."  It means a complete and total and
maintenance free transformation or change.

     When a caterpillar spins a cocoon, and later emerges, it is a
butterfly.  It no longer has to struggle to maintain its new life as a
butterfly.  It doesn't have to memorize a special butterfly creed.  It
doesn't have to attend a weekly support group for butterflies.  It
never has to confess that it used to be a caterpillar but now is a for
real genuine bona fide butterfly with wings and the license to fly.
Furthermore, it never has to prove it can fly to be accepted by other
butterflies.  It never has to confess it is a recovering butterfly.
Why?  Because its transformation makes it possible to be a maintenance
free, naturally existing, butterfly.

     The same is true, or should be, for every born again Believer.
It should be as easy as walking and breathing.  It should be a
maintenance free victory Christian life.  If it isn't, some part of
the mind needs to be renewed because your spirit is as saved as it is
ever going to be.  You cannot, in other words, get any more saved than
you are right now.  So what's the problem?

                          Ephesians   4:22-25

That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which
is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the
spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God
is created in righteousness and true holiness.  Wherefore putting away
lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one
of another.

     I would recommend you go back and read that passage several times
until it sinks in.  Since we are talking about lie based thinking, I
can, in no way, explain the renewing of the mind any clearer.

                         Philippians   3:14-15

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in
Christ Jesus.  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus
minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal
even this unto you.

     "Let us therefore, as many as be perfect?"  Who is that talking
about?  "be thus minded?"  About what?  "And if in any thing ye be
otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you?"  Otherwise
minded?  Wait just a minute.  I thought it was all done at the cross.
Now, here's old Paul, talking about something to do with the mind and
God changing it, if need be, so how could that be?  the answer is
simple.  The mind is not born again.  James 1:21 literally tells us
that the mind is "saved," spiritually disciplined, by the implanting
of God's holy Word.  Furthermore, our bodies are not born again
either.  Some day, body, soul, and spirit, will be glorified and we
will be like Him for we shall see Him as He is, (1 John 3:2).  For
now, however, we must renew our minds.

HOW TO RENEW THE MIND

     One way is what I described in the Chapter which is called "My
Daughter Is Gone."  For me, this has proven to be the best way and
believe me when I say I have tried everything.  Things eventually
developed to the point I was having sleepless nights, hearing voices,
and experiencing horrible anxiety and panic attacks.  The Lord led me
to a man who does nothing but pray in his sessions with his clients.
He is a licensed therapist but in our very first session, he calmly
informed me he had discovered, in his practice, that psychology was,
at best, a band aid, for the woundedness people experienced in their
lives.  When I learned this tool was a form of intercessory prayer, I
realized it was of God.  My prayer partner and I spent several prayer
sessions together and I was healed in a number of places; some I never
would have dreamed could be areas which would give place to the devil.

     An amazing thing occurred.  During the weeks we spent in prayer,
I suddenly realized one day that the voices were gone.  Interestingly,
they never came back.

     Soon the Lord began healing me on my own as I prayed and sought
His guidance.  Eventually, one day, He revealed His truth to me
concerning His will for my life and my intercessory prayer ministry
expanded to this form of prayer.  I have now prayed with many people
from different parts of the world and have had the privilege of seeing
miraculous things happen in the lives of God's people as He healed
their woundedness.  Does God work in other ways?  Of course.  Does He
work in this way?  Without a doubt.

THE FLAW WITH MOST DELIVERANCE MINISTRY

     Many Christians, especially if they are Pentecostal or
Charismatic, are familiar with something called "deliverance."  People
who are gifted in this area of ministry are able to identify demonic
activity in a Christians life and cast the demon, or demons out.  Does
it work?  Are there such gifted people?  Of course and the Bible
clearly confirms we, as the Lord's disciples, have this authority over
demons.  Often, however, there is one major aspect of deliverance
which is disastrously overlooked.
     If a person being tormented and harassed by a demon is not taken
to the original source of the demonic access to their life, casting
out the demon will allow him to return.  Why?  Because he still has a
place or room or license in which to operate in the confines of that
person's life.  Deliverance ministers need, therefore, to first assist
the person in locating the original memory event and then they must
allow the Lord to reveal His truth about that situation.  Otherwise,
casting out demons will be a waste of spiritual and physical energy.
It will also cause undue spiritual and emotional suffering for the
Christian when the demonic activity resumes (See Matthew 12:43-45).
They may also discover, after employing this form of intercessory
prayer, deliverance is no longer needed in a person's life.

The Curse That Works Is The One We Believe
WWW.SafePlaceFellowship.com