ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 18:42:30 -0600
Kathy,

As usual, I went over board but I didn't want to bore people by writing a
book about the article, or devotional, you posted.  You are right as rain
about Charles Spurgeon, Charles Muler, and a whole bunch of other Godly
people, many women as well, who make me look like scum on an old pond.
these men, and women, struggled and faught and we have tons of writings of
theirs, not to mention their testimonies alone, to challenge and encourage
us in Christ.  If I would have been writing a rebuttal, as it were, on that
devotional, I would have de constructed it section by section.  Then I would
have pointed out there was more good than bad in the devotional.  You just
got the one thing with which I disagreed.  Read the Psalms.  You want to
read about depression and suicidal feelings and hopelessness and fear and
guilt and rejection and pain and condemnation and shame and much more, King
David was the man.  So, in the same way, I in no way am suggesting we stop
reading the Psalms nor the devotionals that encourage.  Being who I am, I
just happened to hit on the one thing that fired my rocket.  You want to
read how pathetic somebody can be?  Just log on to my website and read my
articles.  I am no example.  I'm just a servant.  I've never published or
sold any Christian best sellers.  I have been on Christian radio but just
locally so I have no national Christian program to promote my opinions and
my excellent Bible interpretation.  I've never been a millionaire.  Shoot, I
don't even have a savings account.  Nobody knows my name.  I've never been
invited to speak at a Promise Keepers conference.  Lucky them.  the bottom
line?  I've never even been successful.  When the Lord told me that He never
asked me to be successful, something I am going to write about shortly, I
decided to give that big idea up.  It is sort of like one of my dumb
sisters, I hope she doesn't read this, who tried arguing with me one day.
Imagine that.  Trying to argue with me, of all people.  She tried saying,
for some reason, that Charles Spurgeon smoked cigars and look how great of
man he was.  Well, she forgot to keep reading.  He also was convicted about
that habit and gave it up simply because one, just one, church member felt
offended.  Shoot.  I don't even have anything against people who smoke
cigars.  Sandy has been doing it for years and it never has bothered me.
Now there's a man of God if I ever saw one.  Spurgeon, I mean, not Sandy.
So, Kathy, don't mind me.  I just pick out the things to complain about.
Ask people that know me.  They will tell you I'm not like that at all in
person.  Well, at least the ones I pay each month.  That's why I'm not a
millionaire.

Phil.

Phil C Sharp
The Coil Of The snake