ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:16:37 -0400
Halloween - Part 1 of 2

Should Christians celebrate Halloween? No! What the world will
celebrate on October 31 is not anything that a Christian should be
part of. The origin of what we know of as Halloween began in 5th
century B.C., Celtic Ireland as a holiday marking the end of summer on
October 31 known as Samhein (sow-en).

 The pagan Celts believed on that day, the disembodied spirits of all
those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in
search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed
to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws
of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit
world to intermingle with the living.

 Naturally, the still living did not want to be possessed. So on the
night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their
homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in
all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the
neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten
away spirits looking for bodies to possess.

 The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the
first century A.D., Samhain was assimilated into celebrations of some
of the other Roman traditions that took place in October, such as
their day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The
symbol of Pomona is the apple, which might explain the origin of our
modern tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween. The thrust of the
practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief
in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like
hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role.

 The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish
immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the
favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and
unhinging fence gates.

 Since the eighth century, the Catholic Church has celebrated All
Saints' Day on November 1 to celebrate the known and unknown Saints
whom the Church has canonized. The night before the celebration of All
Saint's Day is known as All Hallow's Eve ("Hallows" mean "saints" both
mean "holy ones" as in "Hallowed be thy name"). So, Halloween means
"the evening before All Saint's Day."

 You can see from the pagan roots of Halloween why this has become the
most important day to those who worship satan or choose to live in
rebellion to God and the TRUTH of His Word. There is NOTHING about
this day that honors God, remembers God, or has anything to do at all
with God. It is, quite honestly, a celebration of those who oppose God
and all that He stands for. THIS is why it's a day Christians should
NOT celebrate nor be part of in any way.

 I love you and care about you so much. Tomorrow, Part Two of this
series is titled, "A Christian's Response to Halloween." Do we hide in
our homes with the lights off? Do we all go to church and hide in the
basement so the devil doesn't get us? What exactly should a Christian
be doing on Halloween? I will give you a hint. It will be a bold call
to action. I can think of no better night to see souls won for Christ
than on Halloween.

 DO NOT MISS PART TWO TOMORROW AS WE CELEBRATE A NEW HOLIDAY ON
OCTOBER 31ST THAT WILL HONOR JESUS CHRIST, THE KING OF KINGS, AND LORD
OF LORDS!!!

 In His love and service, Your friend and brother in Christ,

 Bill Keller