ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:13:56 -0700
Rhonda,

I grew up thinking, anybody who was older, my elders in other words, were
smarter than me.  What I was being taught was respect for my elders but I
figured they were just smarter.  This, in a way, turned out to be true and
two of the smartest men I knew in my entire life were in their seventies and
both of them only went through the fourth grade in school because their
families were so poor and needed them to help work to make enough money for
the families to eat.  I've had men with their PHD in my church and yet never
felt they were smarter.  They were, of course, but only in certain areas.  I
learned the hard way, that even professors in bible college didn't have all
the answers yet I respected them.  Secularism is only as smart as society
believes.  Like Jesus told me awhile back and I use on my website and as a
tag line sometimes, The curse we believe is the one that works.  My hand on
the Bible, some of the least educated people I have ever met were the most
spiritual people I ever knew.  I enjoy that story, likely never happened,
but could have, about the atheist professor who stood in his class and said,
looking at his watch, I'm giving God 15 minutes to knock me down.  If He
doesn't He doesn't exist.  Just about the time 15 minutes were up, a
student, a former Marine as I recall the joke, stood up and walked to the
podium where the prof stood.  The student punched the prof in the head;
knocking him to the floor.  The prof said, "Why did you do that?  The
student said, God told me He was busy with more important business so he
sent me to deliver His message.

Phil.