ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cecily Ballenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:25:46 -0800
HOPE OVERHEARD
_________________________

1 John 5:1-5 (NRSV)

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and
everyone who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love
the
children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For the love of
God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not
burdensome,
for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that
conquers the world, our faith. Who is it that conquers the world but the one
who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

_________________________

Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the
Son of God?
- 1 John 5:5 (NRSV)
_________________________

FOR years the mention of God's name or saying a prayer in my home resulted
in violent abuse from my former husband.  A small church that I passed when
walked to the store provided my sole refuge and support for my faith.  I
always had to return home within a few minutes in order to avoid conflict.
So
I took care to watch the time as I listened to hymns outside the open
windows of the church.  The hymns told me that God was listening to my
prayers for
help even as the abuse continued.

Eventually I called the church and left the pastor a message about how I
listened from outside.  I returned the next Sunday to find the sanctuary's
windows
open despite the unusually hot weather outside.  As I stood beneath a
window, I heard the pastor instruct the congregation to "sing out loud
because you
never know who might be listening."  Then the congregation started the
beautiful hymn "Victory in Jesus."  Knowing that the pastor had sent that
hymn especially
to me was a powerful reinforcement.

Several months later, as winter snows fell, Christians rescued my children
and me from this dangerous situation and found us a new home in another
state.
 Before leaving, I was able to thank the pastor at the church for the
wonderful gift that he and God had given me.

Prayer:  O God, we pray for all those being abused and for those working to
help them.  Show each of us our part in ending violence.  Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God calls all of us to defend the helpless and to rescue the abused.

-- Jean Stevenson (Virginia, U.S.A.)

PRAYER FOCUS: Those being abused in their homes

_________________________

RELATED READING ...

In AS IF THE HEART MATTERED, author Gregory S. Clapper unfolds a vision of
the Christian journey by addressing the themes of repentance, faith, and
holiness.
 This Upper Room book moves beyond the Wesleyan tradition to examine how
these themes can find an enduring home in the lives of believers.
http://www.upperroom.org/bookstore/desc.asp?ep_id=30&item_id=12603

PLEASE SHARE THIS MINISTRY with a friend. Invite them to sign up for the
free E-Mail Devotional by visiting:
http://www.upperroom.org/devotional/email/.

TO CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS: Visit the My Account page:
http://www.upperroom.org/myaccount/.
Log in, using your current e-mail address and password. Once logged in your
account, click on the "Edit Personal Information" link. Edit your e-mail
address
and any other information, and click "Update" to complete the change.

FORGOTTEN YOUR PASSWORD? Visit the My Account page:
http://www.upperroom.org/myaccount/.
Click on "Forgot My Password." Enter your e-mail address, and if there is a
password associated with it, the password will be e-mailed to you
immediately.
_________________________

The scripture quotation is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the
Bible, copyright (c) 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the
National
Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.  Used by permission.  All rights
reserved.

Copyright (c) 2007 by The Upper Room.  All rights reserved. Do not reproduce
or redistribute without written permission from the publisher.
http://www.upperroom.org

Upper Room Ministries | 1908 Grand Avenue | P.O. Box 340004 | Nashville, TN
37203-0004 | USA
Dean Masters, owner of the Masters List

the Lord is my light and my salvation.
If he is yours, join us on the Masters List

This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]

Or send an email to: [log in to unmask]

http://www.topica.com/?p=TEXFOOTER