ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:37:37 -0700
Hi Pat and all,

I'm praying for both of you.  That's a double wammy!  I met an adopted 8-year-old girl in Oregon whose adopted parents both died!
About the gift of salvation:  do you have an idea why your husband wouldn't want to accept Christ?  If not, have you ever asked him why?

Just wondering, in general, what can be a list of reasons for any non-beliver?  I'm familiar with some of them:

Some men think it's a ladies thing, as they are more prone to emotional expression and share with one another.

Some might refuse because of the hypocrasy.  I know a response for that one:  If a hypocrite stands between you and God, he is closer to God than you are.

One might be afraid of making the commitment, maybe from fear of failure or even success, or he or she feels uncomfortable about what would be required, what one must do or give up.

It can be because of bitterness toward The Lord possibly because He allowed tragic things to occur, seemingly as if He didn't care much.  I think, to some degree, many of us don't focus clearly or  fully appreciate the eternal perspective, that the pain and misunderstand of this life is less than a grain of sand compared with the next endless life or death.

One can live by plain old pride and stubbornness, not willing to change or admit the nakedness and blindness, always wanting to be right, not being told what and what not to do in life.

One is convinced that good hard work is  enough, or he or she is too bad to be saved, either because of that pride or sense of hopelessness not wanting, or being  afraid, to ask and accept Christ's charity, so to speak.

One is convinced  that there are other ways to get to God, hating the idea that there's only one way, truth and life.  One can practice any other religion like spokes on a wheel where God is met at the hub, as explained to me by someone with that belief.

I'm aware of sad cases involving even Christians:

 Some of us try  to force conversion, being judgemental with assumptions in danger of being inaccurate, or a person's behavior in some cases, or that he or she will never make it to Heaven.  One can also be misled to believe that it's very difficult to be saved and stay saved, getting laws heaped up just like the Sanhedren in Jesus' time on Earth.  Of course, that kind of Christian might not admit that what he or she is doing is the same.
One might be threatened that any believer who goofs or goes through valleys, will be out or will not get empathy for lack of faith.  One must simply  grit the teeth and keep going, using scripture and God's strength without considering blockages that must be dealt with.

But what I'm mostly curious about is, why, in general, would a compassionate, humanly good spouse refuse to consider the danger of eternal death, having lived for years with the believer?

Whew!  My list turned out to be so long, getting more ideas as I typed!  But I'll say one more thing:

Heavenly Father, I'm praying not only for the person we're concerned about, but for anyone who has heard the gospel, or is going to be told.  Please show them Heaven, and show them hell, how futile it is to hold back and be bitter toward Y.  I know that You cannot force conversion, but please please do whatever it takes to make it clear!

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Blessings,