ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:16:48 -0400
Hi Guys,
	I've been following with interest the discussion about where America
is going.  If Hillery becomes president all bets are off, that's for
sure.  So, for the fun of it, I thought that I'd throw another stick
on the fire just to see where the flames go.
	I wanted to bring up a comment that I heard last week  on a talk
radio show having to do with food and fuel.  The conversation was
about ethanol and how we are using our food to make a less sufficient
form of fuel for our gas tanks while people around the world are
starving even more because the cost of the food that is left is going
up.  They're now talking about making fuel out of fruit, not just
corn and, because the cost of corn has gone up, that explains why the
cost of dairy products are just sky rocketing.  Out here, we can pay
almost $4 for a gallon of skim milk at times and that's from a dairy
here in Maine.

	Anyway, the conversation that I was listening too also included a
comment, would you rather import your food or your fuel?  We've
already had massive pet food recalls because of contamination.  Other
countries don't have the strict guide lines that we do and just think
of what would happen to us if we start to become dependent on other
countries for our food like we have our fuel.  It's all so
unnecessary too.  If the government would let us build more
refineries the costs of fuel would go down, or if we followed through
on the research to convert coal into fuel the cost would go down,
but, instead, we are dependent on foreign oil, which funds terrorism
and we are becoming less able to put food on the table because it
might end up in our tank as well.  I just can't imagine God being
pleased with this craziness!

	By the way, Lelia, I want to stay out of debt as well.  Right now,
we still owe for a car, and it's repare, and our trip out to
Wisconsin for Dad's funeral, but otherwise, we are trying to say no
to a lot of stuff to get out of debt as fast as possible.  I think
that you're wise to feel that way.

Something else that we have  to start saving up for is to get pass
ports for our family, at more than $125  a piece if we want to take
the short way to Michigan through Canada, or by next January, if we
want to board a plane.  I start feeling claustrophobic if I let
myself think about it.  It's all just so different now.  Where are we
going?  Who knows.  I'm glad that the one who does know is my
constant companion.
Kathy