ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:42:43 -0700
We have two furnaces in our home.  They are both in the basement.  The
larger of the two works for upstairs and downstairs and it is an 80 percent
efficiency 100,000 B T U infrared start up.  In other words, no flame.  The
second furnace is in the full sized one bedroom apartment the takes up about
two thirds of our basement.  This is where Gretchen lives now.  When Everett
and Donna first got married, our second furnace just died one day so we put
in a new one and it has been working well for several years, a little over 4
years I guess it's been.  It is a smaller 60,000 B T U unit, with the
infrared starter, and a 90 percent efficiency.  We went to a high efficiency
until because you can use PVC pipe instead of double walled aluminum for the
exhaust.  This way, we could run the PVC pipe across the basement ceiling
and punch a whole in the back wall of the house so the exhaust could vent to
the outside.  I bet you don't have a horizontal furnace chimney.  The duct
work is only in the apartment so we didn't need a huge house furnace but it
pumps out the heat like you can't believe and the blower alone almost knocks
you down when it comes on.  It has been giving us some trouble, the last few
months, by not fully coming on.  I didn't have the money really to have it
looked at but it gets really cold downstairs so I call the man who installed
both our furnaces and also our central air.  I didn't know how I was going
to pay him exactly, although I had some cash, but I didn't feel too much was
wrong with the furnace in the first place.  So, Tom comes over this
afternoon and in 2 minutes, he tells us what's wrong.  We needed a new
filter and the automatic aspect of the unit wouldn't let the heat come on
since it could cause a fire by over heating due to the build up on the
filter.  I thought Everett had replaced the filter but it didn't look like
it.  So Tom comes upstairs and talks to me for awhile and finally, I pull my
drawer open to pull out some cash Gretchen had given me for her rent.  "How
much do I owe you, Tom?" I asked.  "Nothing," he said flatly.  "Oh, come on,
Tom.  You drove all the way down from Boulder."  That's a 35 mile trip, by
the way, but Tom doesn't live up there, he just was working up there on a
job.  He refused the money repeatedly.  I kept insisting.  Finally he said,
"Look, Phil.  Everett gives me new business all the time.  I'm not charging
you for such a little thing.  Your son has sent lots of business my way so I
won't take any money.  He also told me to call him if we needed anything
else.  So, although I was planning on paying him with the cash I had, the
Lord worked it out for nothing.  Plus, I got filled in on all the latest
news.  Tom isn't a Christian, that we know of, but he had quite the drug and
alcoholic problem a few years ago.  He and his wife have gotten things all
worked out and Tom sounded the best I have ever heard him today.  I'm always
looking out for those people who are lost and need Jesus even if they don't
know they need Him yet.

Phil.