ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vinny Samarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:33:54 -0700
From: "Marcia Moses" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "General chat list." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:14 PM
Subject: [The Conduit] Fw: Accessible Devices American Printing House
2010Demo Disc InfectedWith Virus

We believe that since many of you may have this disc this needed to be
brought to your attention.
Discard APH Demo Disc 2010 Immediately
We regret to report that The APH Demo Disc 2010 contains a virus. The APH
Demo Disc is a CD-ROM that contains catalogs and demonstration software. The
affected disc has a light blue background and says ©2010. The braille label
on the
sleeve is also dated 2010. If you received this disc by mail or picked it up
at the
recent ACB, NFB, or NEA conferences, PLEASE DISCARD IT IMMEDIATELY.
Detailed Information about Virus
The name of the virus is Win32/Prolaco.
Fortunately, your computer will not be infected with this virus immediately
upon
inserting the APH Demo Disc 2010. The only way to infect your system is to
click the demo software link on the Demo Disc startup screen, and then click
the link to install the demo of Verbal View of Windows XP. The only file on
the disc affected by the virus is the Verbal View of Windows XP demo.
If you attempt to install the Verbal View of Windows XP demo, and you have
up-to-date virus software installed, you should be warned about the presence
of the virus immediately.
Please Take the Following Steps
1. Discard the APH Demo Disc 2010.
2. Completely scan your system with up-to-date virus detection software. One
antivirus program that detects Win32/Prolaco with a general scan is the
Microsoft Security Essentials. This antivirus software is both free and
accessible.
You may obtain more information about safe computer practices, virus
detection, and download Microsoft Security Essentials at
www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx
.
3. If you do inadvertently run the Verbal View of Windows XP .exe file and
you do not have virus detection software running, this virus will spread
itself multiple ways, including via email messages with infected
attachments, downloading software that may appear to be real programs,
and by turning off security settings on your Windows machine.
If your machine has been infected, update your antivirus software and then
run it again to remove the infection.
Replacing the APH Demo Disc 2010
APH will create a new 2010 Demo Disc and label it clearly in both print and
braille. We will distribute this clean disc later in the summer.
About APH Antivirus Procedures
Note that APH always virus scans the discs it produces, as was the case with
the 2010 Demo Disc, but some virus detection software does not detect the
Win32/Prolaco virus during a general scan. Fortunately, antivirus software
will detect this virus if you attempt to install the infected program Verbal
View of Windows XP.
Due to this issue, we are reviewing our antivirus procedures.
Our Sincere Apologies
We regret any inconvenience this infected disc may have caused. At APH, we
care about our customers and we will be happy to work with you further to
resolve any issues concerning this virus.
Please contact
 if you have questions.
Sincerely,
The Staff of APH
www.fredshead.info/2010/07/special-notice-aph-demo-disc-2010.html
This is an Announce only list.  Subscribers are not able to post to this
list.
You will find the list archives at:
http://accessible-devices.com/pipermail/a-d_accessible-devices.com/
Sorry, but we're not able to provide help for archive users.
To unsubscribe from the Accessible Devices list copy the line below.  Paste
it inthe To: line of a blank message and send it.
You may download our podcasts from this link,
http://www.accessible-devices.com/Podcasts.html
Or if you're using a podcatcher of some type the subscribe URL is.
http://www.accessible-devices.com/feed.xml
Visit our website at:
www.accessible-devices.com
Please feel free to pass this message on to a friend who might like to
subscribe.
To subscribe to Accessible Devices send a blank e mail to:
Just follow the directions in the confirmation message when it comes.
Please Note: Accessible Devices is not able to provide tech support for
software or products that we supply information about.

To unsubscribe from The Conduit list, simply copy the line below.  Paste it
in the to line of a blank message and send it. Follow the directions in the
confirm message.
To post to the list send the message to.
Note: In an effort to help control SPAM this list will reject any message
that contains
other addresses, either in the CC or BCC line.
No warnings are to be posted to this list unless approved by VIP Conduit
first.