ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:11:32 -0400
I don't know about the Christian book writing industry, but I do know
that the collector of all of the writings in an anthology, is the one
perceived to be the owner and laborer, thus, if she or he wishes to
pay the contributors, that is between the collector and the original
writer, not between the writer and the publisher.  I have a friend
who contributed a poem for one of the "Chicken Soup For the Souls,"
books, and I don't believe that she was paid for it.  I know that
Greg is quoted in Dr. Laura's book on "The Ten Commandments," and all
he received is a footnote in the book.  I guess that I just see this
whole thing very differently and I'm having a hard time discerning
what there is to get upset about.  In the publishing business, this
is pretty much standard practice.  YOu can do what PHil does, and use
a web site, or you can agree to jump through all the hoops and hope
to get a small, and I do mean small profit  from it some day in the
future.  YOu can also be like Frank Purreti and choose to be rejected
by seventeen publishers before you finally find someone who will take
a chance on your work.
Kathy