ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:55:27 -0600
Hi!

I found this on the AccessComp list.  I wish I were in good walking shape to
do this!  Maybe next year?

Sharon

Subject: WayFun Adventure

Blind Explorers will "See" their surroundings with accessible GPS

DAVIS, CA, (July 31, 2006) - On Friday, August 4, 31 blind people from coast
to coast, ages 10 to 72, gather for five days of travel adventure. These
intrepid
travelers are using accessible GPS technology developed by Sendero Group
running on a BrailleNote personal data assistant to find their way on hiking
trails,
throughout the Napa Valley, and around the streets of San Francisco.
Sendero's WayFun adventures are an opportunity for blind people to test the
bounds
of their travel skills as well as demonstrating to others what is possible.

Sendero co-founder, Mike May, blind from age 3 to 46 says, "Picture 31 blind
people, white canes and dogs, striding through the city's streets with
Braille
displays and voice synthesizers announcing the information sighted people
take for granted on print signs. I was a candidate for the Amazing Race,
which
inspired me to create a similar travel event for blind people. With the
right tools and techniques, a blind person can go anywhere, anytime."

Sendero Group developed the first ever accessible GPS system for the blind
and is known worldwide as a leader in "wayfinding" technology. To schedule
interviews,
contact Kim Casey at 1-888-757-6810, extension 104 or Mike May's cell,
1-530-304-0007, email:

Sweetman Systems is a co-sponsor of this event. Operating out of Southern
California, Sweetman Systems provides assistive technology, system
integration,
product installation, and customized configuration services for a wide range
of adaptive hardware and software, specializing in the BrailleNote and
BrailleNote
GPS. We also provide training which is tailored to meet the needs of the
user.

For a daily blog, go to:
http://www.senderogroup.com/wayfun.htm

Sendero Group