ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:37:16 -0700
Hi all!

Well, I survived the surgery!  It went well, and the hearing nerve responded
well to the testing before I woke up.  The worst part was when the nurse was
trying and trying to find a cooperative vein to put the IV in.  Ouch, ouch,
ouch!  Finally I had her look for one on the other arm, and I believe she
was successful the first time.  Judy was with me, and she wanted me to think
about how many chocolates, one a day, she should give me until the processor
is activated while I was being poked, but I'd already estimated it before it
happened. :)

the anesthesiologist told me that they would stick a tube down my throat,
and I'd feel it coming out of my mouth when I woke up, which I did.  My
throat was sore, but not as bad as I feared.  ironically, I felt the most
pain on the opposite side of my forehead from the surgery area.  Part of
that may have come from the dressing being tight.  Later after eating Jello
and pudding, I definitely experienced a little nausea, but they gave me
something for it, and I also took some morphine and pain pills.

Judy and my parents came in to hang out for awhile and make phone calls.  I
was able to use the phone when it was put up to my free ear's hearing aid.
I had talked with Judy's daughter Blanca before the surgery, and was able to
speak with her again.  I also talked a little with my sister Donna.  Later
my brother Dale and his wife Dianna stopped by, bringing Santa Claus!  they
brought Santa again.  from them, I got two boxes of chocolates, a 12-pack of
diet coke, and a CD of the Manheimer's Steamrollers!  I was also given some
nice balloons.  I suggested to some that they should use helium balloons to
hold up IV's. Haha!

My night was restless, and they had to help me a couple of times, but I was
able to sleep some.  When I got up for the first time to go to the bathroom,
I felt the floor moving, sort of up and down!  I had to be supported, and
still need some today, but I feel more confident.  I worked on a word search
to help me settle down and eventually go to sleep again.

This morning I was able to eat a heavy breakfast, and was eventually taken
to Judy's house, where my parents stayed with me until awhile after lunch.
It had begun to snow, and they needed to get an early start for home, so
they brought me back to my house!  The funny thing is that, after looking
around in my hospital room, they missed seeing my cane, so it was left
behind.  Oh well, I guess I need something sturdier than a fiberglass cane
that is only for guidance anyway? :)  We were going to go back to get it,
but because of the snow, we decided not to.  I'll get that later.  At least
I have the gifts my family gave me!

I am now wearing a hard cap over my left ear and incision.  They want me to
have it on as much as I can, and always when I sleep, which must also be
kept dry for maybe ten days.  So if I stink when you read my messages,
you'll know why. Hahaha!  Someone will also need to put 3 drops of
antibiotics into my ear, and I must also take some orally.  I have more pain
and nausea pills, but so far I haven't needed them since I left the
hospital.

And that's the news from Lake Woebegone, where I may not be good-looking but
am strong!

Thanks again for all the prayers and support!

I have something to share with you.  Please visit:

http://www.mypowermall.net/cgi-bin/pd/pd.cgi?showmpmcard=11941260560.55096435546875.card

Sharon