ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith P Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 02:48:10 +0100
Dear E-church USA friends,

I was just introducing myself to the echurch-uk crew when I realised
that I have not really introduced myself here... so I thought I would
repost it for you... it is all part of "getting to know you". He says
holding back from breaking into songs from the sound of music.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, it is great to meet you all. I am
looking forward to getting to know you. I have had a bit of a rough
ride with my old Christian friends over the past few months so I
think it will do me good to meet some fresh faces.

I am kind of busy at the moment. Why? I hear you ask. Two weeks ago
the Lord told me to decorate my house! A huge undertaking, and at the
time I only had 3 pounds to spare if that. Next miracle, my lodger
came up with 8 pounds worth of 1p and 2p coins for the decorating
kitty. As it turned out my landlord let me off a months rent to do
this work (I am a wee bit behind ahem) and he also gave me 25 pounds
for paint..... you see the Lord does know what he is doing.

Anyhow Woolworths (A shop in the uk) had some cheap paint going at 2
pounds a pot... so I have done one room. I ruined the carpet, it was
horrible anyway, so I need to pray in a newish one. The bathroom will
be finished tonight at about 3am if I work hard. I am doing this on
my own so it is difficult especially to get the motivation. I have
run my house as an open house for a number of years so there are a
few local teenagers that drop in every now and then but some of them
have the attention span of the proverbial goldfish.

Now for an introduction.... well I am 34, single, I live near
Birmingham and my house and the flat next door is kind of a Christian
community where the Lord brings people to live to receive his healing.

I also get to know many local alcoholic youths. Several of which live
next door in a unique kind of youthful squalor. I counted 20 empty
jack daniel's bottles when I fixed their boiler yesterday. They had
been for weeks without hot water, too afraid to call the landlord due
to the state of their house.

I do the same kind of prayer healing ministry as Phil does. I used to
try and help lots of my friends all around the UK, but now the Lord
has told me to focus on helping one person at a time. Those I help
need very intense ministry and a fresh start... it is very
challenging, but I get to see the Lord do amazing things.

A teenager turned up on my doorstep today... we did a book exchange
and they lent me a book called "The Kid" by Kevin Lewis, his own
story of severe abuse and neglect. I do not think it is a Christian
book, but I was surprised to discover that he lived about 7 miles
from where I was brought up. It is folks like "The Kid", Kevin that I
am called to help. The Lord is with me, it was his idea! I have a
couple of supportive friends and a couple of prophetic types who are
keeping me in order, but that is about it. Sometimes it feels pretty
lonely out here.

So here I am at your service, I am basically a full time Christian
missionary to my community and those the Lord sends my way. Living by
faith is hand to mouth at the moment just like you read about in all
those exciting Christian books. So on Friday a local restaurant sent
us their old food that they were going to throw away because of the
bank holiday weekend, is that cool or what!

I know in England it is considered rude to ask if you are in need,
but I have to say if you are offering, I could really use your help
too. The Lord has so much for us to do!

It is kind of a character building phase for me in my Christian walk.
Much of this involves getting stressed at God and various people then
repenting and eventually laying it before God to sort out my heart.
The refiners fire process also seems to require relentless painting
till the early hours of the morning, to which writing this email is a
welcome distraction.

I think this is the most unusual introduction I have ever given, but
I think it kind of lets you know where I am at and some of what
excites me as a disciple of Jesus. When you reply to me do let me
know what excites you.

your friend in Christ

Keith Hodges

p.s. it does not look like the bathroom is going to be finished after
all, it is 2.30am already.