ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:38:31 -0700
Hi guys!

I actually hooked up my computer again yesterday afternoon, but didn't feel
like writing then.  I've been vaguely sick for maybe three days.  Anyway,
I'll tell you what happened.

Last Tuesday night I was getting ready for bed.  It was after 11:00 at
night.  Jose came toward my room and asked if I'd called 911, saying that
the police were here.  I told him no, but thought that maybe I'd pressed a
button with a bag I was moving.  I heard their radio, and one of them said,
in a kind voice, "We just want to make sure she's okay."  Later Blanca told
me that jose was confused at first, because the number that called 911 was
not their number, but then he remembered me.

The next morning, while I was at Daybreak, the police came again!  Blanca
told me that they wanted to look in my room.  That afternoon I called my
phone company's center for people with disabilities.  the rep said that if a
battery on your caller ID box or TTY was dying, it could cause something to
dial 911.  Jose checked my answering machine that has caller ID, but found
no batteries, nor any indication that a bettery was dying.  He did find
batteries in my phone, so I took them out.  Later I called the police
station to let them know who I was and what was going on.

Then on Thursday morning, maybe around quarter till 5, Blanca woke me up,
saying that the police were here again!  One of them told me firmly that
they couldn't have this happening like clockwork, and if it keeps happening,
they would have to issue a citation.  He told me to get it fixed.  After
they were gone, I got up maybe more than once, and disconnected my phone,
answering machine and computer.  Later in the morning before leaving for
Daybreak, I tried to call someone to see what I could do, the phone didn't
work.  Thanking that maybe I should rearrange a connection, I waited until I
got home that afternoon.  I connected the phone directly to the wall jack,
but it was still dead.  Eventually I talked with a rep from the repair
department.  She tested my line and said that a repair man would have to
come out, and it sounded to me like he would come no earlier than 7:00 p.m
the next day.  He came the next day, while I was gone.  Apparently, it was a
bad connection, and he thinks that the repair work he did may have solved
the problem.  I am hooking things up, one at a time: my phone, then the
computer, and probably tomorrow my answering machine.  Keep holding your
breath! (grin)

Sharon