ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:02:47 -0600
Kathy brings up an interesting topic.  Interesting to me because, over the
47 years of walking with the Lord now, finding rest has not proven to be
what I thought it was.  My ideas of resting in the Lord were based, I said,
were based, upon what I learned in church growing up.  In later life, I have
learned the hard way, it isn't at all what I thought it might be.  David
talked about this in Psalm 55 but especially in the following verse.

      Psalm 55:6
And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! [for then] would I
fly away, and be at rest.

If you study Psalm 55 carefully, you will find a horribly depressed and
hopeless man franticly searching for a place to land, as it were, as his
enemies attempt to kill him.  David finds resolution in what is clearly
worship of His God.  He worshipped by practicing, what many call faith and
confession, or what others have unfortunately reduced to nothing more than
positive thinking.  Yet, regardless of what man has reduced it to today,
worship is the key.  The Hebrew word for "rest" in Psalm 55:6 literally
means a permanent dwelling place.  It carries much of the same meaning as
the word "Abiding" in the New Testament.  Just doing a word study on the
same Hebrew word in the book of Psalms is quite interesting.  I would be
interested in the comments of others on this topic.  I must say, I believe I
know what resting in the Lord is now more than ever but at the same time, it
is easily aloof due to circumstances we face at any given time.  Quite
clearly, David wanted to escape his situation.  Becoming a dove, a creature
of peace, and flying away from everything.  This he does but not in the way
he originally thinks.  He doesn't fly away or run away but presses further
into God through worship and confession of who God is; not who David is or
should be.  When you are having a full blown anxiety attack, however,
finding this rest suddenly becomes impossible to you even as a Christian.
If one does not find what is keeping him from finding rest, he will not find
it.  David discovers flying away, as much as he wants to get away from the
fear, isn't the key.

Phil.