ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:11:31 -0600
Critical Eyes

     On the Sabbath day, Jesus was walking through some grain
     fields. Jesus' followers were walking with him. The followers
     picked some grain {to eat}. The Pharisees saw this and said
     to Jesus, "Why are your followers doing that? It is against
     the {Jewish} law to do that on the Sabbath day."--Mark 2:23-24 (ERV).

KEY THOUGHT:

There are some who watch others who are committed to Christ only to
find fault in them. Critical sniping at Jesus'
followers--"nit-picky-ness" as I call it--is not a virtue. Jesus condemns
judging others' hearts on the basis of traditions and from a harsh
spirit, looking to catch them in minor points of law. The way we
judge others is then the standard of judgment used on us. As Christians, we
have been liberated from law keeping; let's also liberate ourselves
from a harsh, judgmental, and nit-picky spirit. May the spirit that
made some of the Pharisees so harsh not be found among us!

TODAY'S PRAYER:

Holy God, forgive me and help me leave behind a critical, harsh
spirit of judgment. Teach me to be gracious and never let my faith
get lost in Pharisaism. In the name of the Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.