ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:34:21 -0600
From your counseling sessions with Erick, I am sure you know that Chris is
using intimidation, and to some degree, manipulation, to achieve a desired
effect.  He is frightened of something but the driver's ed and the schooling
and the job are only triggers of what he is really frightened about.  He
likely doesn't even know himself, at this point, the source of his fear.
Acting out by frightening others, however, is an excellent way of testing
the waters, sort of speak, to see just how far you can go.  Plus, it takes
the place of a drug.  That is, it stimulates the one acting out their fear
by scaring the crap out of everybody else.

I am far from a good example.  Out of three children, two being boys, I was
never what you call brave but I was never afraid.  Even though my youngest
son is larger than I am and taller and was taking Karate, I made it
perfectly clear that in a face to face fight, I would most likely lose and
furthermore, when it was over, I'd probably die of a heart attack due to my
poor condition.  But, I said, you will know you were in a fight even when it
is over and I lose and die.

At this point, Chris likely wants help but his pride blocks his inner most
desire to do right.  He was playing the game of intimidation to see what his
blind mother and his father would do.  It will escalate because he got a
good taste of it now and it worked.  I was fortunate to know some big guys
and were good friends.  If one of my kids would have tried trashing the
house, for example, I wouldn't have called the police because what happened
to you in Maine would have happened here in Denver, too.  It's the same all
over.  Instead, I would have called a couple of three buddies to come on the
run to assist me.  Shoot a blind mother with one good baseball bat can do a
lot of damage if she starts swinging.  I'm sort of kidding there of course.
Well, not really.  I also would have been proud, as a father, to go to jail.
My daughter threatened to put me in jail more than once.  I bodily forced
her out of the house in front of her own children one night.  Then I had to
sit down with two little boys and explain what happened and why.  You don't
think that tore my heart out to hear those little boys crying because I had
to make their mother leave.  She was too dangerous to everyone around her.
Praise God, that's over and done with now.

I am not telling you nor Greg what to do.  I will tell you what I did when
Gretchen was 15 years old.  I kicked her out of the house.  She was crawling
out her bedroom windows at night and running around and getting arrested
anyway so I kicked her out.  Then I did exactly what I told her I would do.
I went down to the police station and turned her in as a run away so she
would be on the computers.  It worked.  She ran for three months scared
spitless because she thought she would get jailed.

One thing you have which you can play is in fact your own blindness.
Kicking Chris out and then filling a complaint related to your own fears
might work.  Especially if you got a lawyer's opinion about it.  Still a
super difficult decision to make.

In a manner of speaking Kathy, there is no right or wrong in these
situations.  There is sin and holiness, of course, and that's what we are
really talking about.  That we can do something about and we are so keep us
informed and stop trying to carry the load by yourself when you have friends
who can help.

Phil.