EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:30:22 +0200
Hi,

Version 8 of MAGic for NT/2000 is in developement and do not advice you to
run MAGic for 95/98/ME on NT/2000.
The AiSquared technical support is one of the best in the industry of
accessibility features and ZoomText Xtra 7.06 is the most stable screen
magnifier.
There are several reasons why screen magnifiers do not work properly in
specific applications. The basic reason is, that programmers of a lot of
applications do not use Windows standard programming. They build their own
graphical user interfaces, do not support short keys etc. Screen magnifiers
also do not track on events in Java applications at this moment, because
they do not support the Java accessibility classes.

If a screen magnifier does not work properly you must try to figure out,
why it is not working properly and on what events it does not work
properly. Does it not track on events or is pseech support the problem?
The speech support in ZoomText 7.06 is very poor at this moment. AiSquared
- makers of ZoomText - promised so called "blind speech" in the next major
release of ZoomText sceduled for the first quarter of 2002. This release
will also include access to Java.

If speech is the problem you can try other products like MAGic or Lunar /
LunarPlus / Supernova. The last product range come from Dolphin Computer
Access. They are now in the process of beta release for version 5. This
release make it possible to make specific applications more accessible. If
tracking on events is the problem I advice you to contact Dolphin Computer
Access or visit http://www.dolphinusa.com.

The performance of MAGic 8 magnification is very poor. Mouse movement is
very sluggish, but things like tracking and speech support are very good.
MAGic has no good reading features for low vision and there are a number of
known bugs, that are not be solved at this moment.

ZoomText includes a DocReader feature, that make it very easy to read
documents. Only reading web pages is difficult at this moment. Lunar /
LunarPlus / SuperNova includes good reading features and their upcomming
version 5 is realy promising.

For more information about Screen Magnifiers visit:
http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage) and read the
attached magnifiers listing at:

Regards Peter Verhoeven