EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:12:36 GMT
Hello,

A crucial skill of reading is decoding the words into sounds.

One wonders how 13-year-old Izak had been taught, that he could labelled
severely dyslexic, yet suddenly learn to read because of seeing words
highlighted as they were spoken by a speech synthesiser.   Did he really
pick up the decoding rules so quickly?  Why hadn't it dawned before?
If it is so easy for dyslexics to learn to read, there would be no need
for phonics.  A program like WordAloud (see www.wordaloud.co.uk), which
displays each word individually while speaking it, would have been
ideal for Izak, and probably a lot cheaper.  Yet for most people,
there is no immediate connection in the brain for associating whole
word visual recognition with the whole word sound. Most people need to
have phonics tuition.  (There's a whole article about this in
Scientific American March 2002, if you are sceptical about phonics.)
For dyslexics, I would recommend a phonics course like Top Marks to
learn the decoding rules before using a text reader like WordAloud.
(Using a screen reader would be a waste of money.)   And if parents
find that their child is not learning to read, they can use
WordAloud to find whether the child has alreadly been given adequate
phonics training and to identify particular decoding problems that
remain.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John

P.S.  Of course, what I have said about phonics and decoding does not
apply to profoundly deaf children, who can have immense difficulty
learning to read.
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk