EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ania Ciechanowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:44:57 +1100
Hi,
Our service put together a handout on using the keyboard one handed - might
be of use to you - I've attached it. Some people with CP who I've see at our
assistive tech service have had difficulty with movement coordination and
organisation, limited awareness of where their fingers are/how far their
fingers are moving when they can't see them in the less affected hand. this
has mdae touch typing slow and effortful, with a heavy reliance on searching
for keys visually. For people not able to see the keyboard we have used
tactile markers on specific keys and at the beginning of rows - particularly
when they are first learning the layout of the keyboard.
Depending on the quality of movement, a compact - laptop sized keyboard has
suited some people. If coordination is more difficult larger keys - such as
those on a Big Keys www.bigkeys.com keyboard or a programmable expanded
keyboard eg Intellikeys www.intellitools.com might be useful.
Anyway, hope some of this is of use,
Ania Ciechanowski