EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:26:34 +0100
Hello Sandy,

You might be interested in WordAloud.  It's not free, but it's not
expensive either.  It has a large text display coupled with synthesised
speech, such that it can be used by anybody with some useful vision,
and/or some useful hearing.  It's very simple to operate with keyboard
or mouse. The basic operations can be performed with just the four
cursor keys or on-screen equivalent buttons.  It could be adapted for
switch use.

It runs on Windows95 or 98.  I hope that does not rule it out for you.
See www.wordaloud.co.uk for details and an evaluation copy to download.

Cheers,

John
--
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
sandygo4it <[log in to unmask]> writes

>I have several children that would benefit from your marvelous gift!
>
>"...software and technology for visually inpaired children from
>Pre-K to 5th grade. It is for an Apple computer. I also have a touch window
>and
>other forms of technology...."
>
>I teach for Los Angeles County Office of Education (preschool class for
>children with orthopedic impairments).... BUT ... I have MANY children with
>visual impairments (the VI itinerant teachers are sending the preschool kids
>my way because there are no VH preschool classes - I have finished a 'low
>incidence early childhood special ed' practicum and have a smattering of VI
>knowledge.
>
>My students - one who is VERY deaf/blind (and very hypotonic); another who
>has CHARGE syndrome and is also DB, another with a cortical visual
>impairment, and many premie complications, ANOTHER (two or three) with ROP,
>ANOTHER (still coming in!) with some kind of visual impairment ... I didn't
>even mention all the others (10 kids, 9 of whom are in wheelchairs - and
>this year we are sharing our classroom with Kndg ...
>
>My big need would be for basic switch access, early stages of any kind of
>software.  I have a PowerMac (have a Touch window, Intellikeys and software)
>... but if you have ANY early stages of software for little ones that are
>prelinguistic and need basic access (or for K's that need supplmental
>academic stuff) I would be a grateful receiver!
>
>My school address, etc. -
>Sandy Goodwick
>La Merced Elementary School
>724 North Poplar Ave.
>Montebello, CA 90640
>(323) 724 - 6950
>
>Thanking you in advance!
>
>Sandy

Try our WordAloud software!  Visit http://www.wordaloud.co.uk

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd
Tel:    +44 20 8987 8326 (or 0845 458 3944 in the UK)
Fax:    +44 20 8742 8715
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Site:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk