EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:36:09 -0800

> Although needs assessment is a vital tool in determining what a given
> community may or may not need, it should not be the only tool used.
> Let me ask a question.  If Wilber and Orvil (sp) Wright had done a
> needs assessment before inventing The Kitty Hawk, what might the
> results have been?  Would they have received a resounding affirmation
> of their work?  Would they have been given funding to improve their
> little machine that only flew a hundred feet?

In the language of the day, the Federal government  issued an RFP for
a "flying machine". The research funds were given to an esteemed individual
with the proper proper academic credentials, lobbying ability, and political
connections who lived and worked near Washington., DC.

> I think needs assessment and the input of persons with disabilities is
> absolutely essential in trying to come up with ideas which will
> empower us.

In the real world of business, that's called market research and product
testing.

> In the lady's article she says that The Deaf would have to translate
> from ASL into the English Alphabet in order to use this glove.

Actually, given new technology, a new way of communicatings is likely to
evolve
based on existing forms

BTW there are funds available for projects such as this.

Tom Horn
President, TeleTransformations
Manager, Rouge Valley Macromedia/ColdFusion Users Group