EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:16:40 -0500
Alice,

I looked at Desque website and it seems more hype than substance on their website.  It is not really clear what rules they use to test accessibility and they don't seem to provide example reports to see results.  They also seem to limit their reports to Section 508 requirements, which are considered minimal accessibility requirements at best.

UIUC is developing an open source tool called FAE for Functional Web Accessibility Evalautor [1] for web accessibility evaluation that goes way beyond current tools accessibility rules and has had very favorable reviews from web developers across our campus and people who have used the tool thorughout the state and the world.  All of the rules are publically available and shown in the reports and you can try it yourself.

http://fae.cita.uiuc.edu

Recently 7 out 13 higher education institutions in Illinois used FAE to report the Illinois board of Higher Education there State of Web Accessibility [2].

http://www.ibhe.state.il.us/urg/reportlist.asp

We are close to including features that will allow people to use FAE to check web applictions for accessibility in conjunction with the Mozilla/Firefox Accessibility Toolbar.

We would love to work with other institutions and organizations to make these tools more useful for your needs.

Jon

[1] Functional Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
http://fae.cita.uiuc.edu

[2] IBHE Higher Education Web Accessibility Reports
http://www.ibhe.state.il.us/urg/reportlist.asp

[3] Mozilla/Firefox Web Accessibility Extension
http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu