EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:45:05 -0700
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:10:57 -0600
>From: Educause Educause <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Edupage, September 28, 2004
>Sender: Edupage <[log in to unmask]>
>Approved-by: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]

>Edupage is a service of EDUCAUSE, a nonprofit association
>whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting
>the intelligent use of information technology.
>
>TOP STORIES FOR TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2004
>   Court Exempts Web Sites from ADA
>   Sun Program Supports Academic Networks
>   Virgin Group Makes the Jump to Online Music
>   Russia Added to Starter Edition Program
>

>COURT EXEMPTS WEB SITES FROM ADA
>The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's decision from
>October 2002 that Web publishers cannot be forced to comply with the
>1991 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ruling came in response
>to a suit by an advocacy group for the blind called Access Now and
>Rober Gumson, who is blind, seeking to force Southwest Airlines to
>redesign its Web site for easier access by the visually impaired. The
>ADA does not mention the Internet in mandating accessibility for public
>spaces. The federal three-judge panel acknowledged that a future case
>might reopen the question. Wrote Judge Stanley Marcus, "In declining to
>evaluate the merits of this case, we are in no way unmindful that the
>legal questions raised are significant."
>ZDNet, 27 September 2004
>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5384087.html
>
>SUN PROGRAM SUPPORTS ACADEMIC NETWORKS
>Sun Microsystems announced the Sun Technology and Academic Resources
>(STAR) program, which will offer equipment grants and training in Sun
>and related technologies to educational institutions. Sun will also set
>up centers to promote partnerships with universities and third parties,
>said company representatives. The program reportedly aims to help
>educational organizations trim the costs and simplify management of
>network systems. According to Sun, more than 1,350 institutions have
>benefited from existing aspects of the program in the past year.
>CNET, 27 September 2004
>http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5384140.html
>
>VIRGIN GROUP MAKES THE JUMP TO ONLINE MUSIC
>The Virgin Group has become the newest entrant in the market for online
>music with its Virgin Digital service, launched this week in the United
>States. Despite entering a market that already includes big-name
>players such as Apple's iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, and the recently
>unveiled music service from Microsoft, Zack Zalon, president of Virgin
>Digital, said the company does not consider the market crowded. Zalon
>noted there remains tremendous opportunity for growth and said that
>Virgin is interested in long-term success in digital music. Jupiter
>Research supports Zalon's estimate of the future potential for the
>market, which it predicts will reach $1.7 billion in 2009, up from $100
> [...]

EASI Online Courses for October
Train the Trainer:
  http://easi.cc/workshops/train.htm
Designing Accessible Course Content Using Familiar Software:
http://easi.cc/workshops/dacc.htm
*** A package of 5 courses earns the Certificate in Accessible IT

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
22196 Caminito Tasquillo
Laguna Hills CA 92653
Home: (949)  855-4852
Cell: (949) 922-5992