EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:39:58 -0400
I just checked Excel help, and found these potentially useful keystrokes that use the END key.

END:    turn End mode on or off
END, arrow key: move by one block of data within row or column
END, HOME: move to the last cell on the worksheet
END, ENTER: move to the last cell to the right of the current row that is not blank.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Project Manager
Strategic e-Government Implementation
e-Government, OCCS
416-212-1152

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/10/02 03:05PM >>>
It is correct to say that Excel has a built in command to skip over blank
cells to the next data cell.  It is the same key stroke as in the old Lotus
for DOS spreadsheet software:  end plus down, up, left or right arrow
depending on the direction you want to move.
I am totally blind, and On the matter of accessibility, I use Excel 97 with
Window Eyes quite extensively.  I have no problems with Window Eyes unless
the screen, and child window  is not maximized.  the only time I have had
difficulty in terms of formatting is when the font is made very small.  Of
course, the graphics mode is not accessible even though I can create them.
 As in every piece of software, I am slower in being able to determine the
overall content of a screen or document.  However, I can go quite fast when
creating new spreadsheets.  So, don't get depressed.  It is all dependent
on how much you use an application.

At 10:48 AM 10/10/02 , you wrote:
>I know that people have had Excel problems with Window-Eyes when the
>formatting of the cells got at all complicated.
>
>I would also think that Excel would have a built-in keystroke, like Lotus
>and Quattro, to jump over blank cells to the next cell containing data.  If
>such a built-in keystroke exists, then you have other screen reading
>commands to determine where you have landed.
>
>At 02:54 PM 10/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hello EASI Colleagues,
>>
>>What are the practical considerations for ensuring that Excel files are
>screen reader accessible? Do certain screen readers deal better with Excel
>worksheets? Does the user need to customize Excel in certain ways? Are
>certain Excel features best avoided?
>>
>>Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>Alan Cantor
>
>Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
>Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
>National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
>Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <[log in to unmask]>
><http://www.loc.gov/nls>
>HOME:  <[log in to unmask]>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>

---
Ross Eadie