EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Alfieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:10:06 -0400
Here is the link to the software:

http://www.cloneware.net/

Here is the link to the article with all the links to sources:

http://www.eschoolnews.org/showstory.cfm?ArticleID=2862

on 7/30/01 1:35 PM, MARLENE MCINTOSH at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Could you please send the Link again to the website?
>
> Thanks!
> Marlene McIntosh
> Cambrian College

> This could be a cost effective product for students or others who have
> difficulty reading whether due to learning, visual or other physical
> challenges and perhaps would be worth a look for home and
> school.
>
> Software firm's give-away strategy: 'Try it, You'll like it'
>

> By Cara Branigan, Assistant Editor, eSchool News
>
> July 26, 2001
>
> The Michigan-based software company cheerfully acknowledges it:
> Giving away a computer program that reads text out loud to help visually
> impaired or literacy-challenged students is a blatant marketing gimmick. "At
> this point, we've given Scan and Read away to more than 4,000 schools and
> libraries," said Steve Timmer, president of Premier Programming Solutions.
>
> The company is offering every school a free single-user license for its Scan
> and Read software package, so a student who needs it can have the
> opportunity
> to use this technology. "Our competitors sell the software starting at
> $1,000, and that's ridiculous," declared Kenneth Springer, chief operating
> officer of Premier Programming Solutions. "Schools are on a tight budget"
>
> "We're a very small company, and we don't do much marketing," Springer
> added. "Our products don't cost very much, so our budget is small. But we
> don't want to sell it for $1,000." Premier Programming Solutions, which has
> only three employees, said the company expects to get subsequent sales from
> customers who first try out the software in schools, libraries, literacy
> groups, and other non-profit settings. "It's inexpensive enough that if a
> child has been using it at school, then a parent can affod to buy it for at
> home, too," Timmer said. "Sure it's a marketing scheme, but it's easier to
> show people how it works than it is to explain it." Timmer, a software
> developer and former nuclear engineer, developed the Scan and Read system in
> his basement after losing most of his vision to macular degeneration in
> 1996.
>
> He needed something to assist him in reading, but found the products on the
> market too expensive and complicated. "When I first lost my vision, I
> quickly
> became frustrated with the price and complexity of other text-to-voice
> conversion programs," he said. "Some people can pay $1,000 but most people
> can't." Scan and Read, which is available to the public for $89.95,
> translates written text into spoken language. It will read any type of
> printed material including computer files, eBooks, books, magazines, and
> forms. "You can pull up any existing text file or scan in any text-like a
> book or newspaper-and it'll read it to you," Springer said. It works with
> any Windows-based PC and any standard flatbed scanner. Users must turn the
> [...]

Catherine Alfieri
7 Summer Tree
Pittsford, NY 14534
716-586-1682
Monroe County Women's Disability Network
http://www.mcwdn.org
VirtEd
http://www.mcwdn.org/VirtEd2.html
Personal page
http://www.mcwdn.org/AlfieriMain.html
"See with your heart, Speak with your heart!"