EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:13:05 -0700
EASI is honored to have our interview this week be with the incoming
President of the American Library Association, John Berry.  Available at:
http://easi.cc and select webcasts to locate it.  It will be archived and
available for many months.  The ALA has announced a new policy to provide
increased accessibility to consumers with disabilities.

EASI congratulates John and the ALA for this monumental policy move.  We
are proud to have John as our first interview in June.

John said, "Well, it was a policy that is called Library Services for
People with
Disabilities and it was adopted on January 16, 2001 by acclimation by the
ALA council. We were very happy that it was so uniformly adopted, Without
any contentiousness whatsoever. The full text of the policy is on the ALA
site: http://www.ala.org."
Interview will be at http://easi.cc and select webcasts

John has a long history of concern to make libraries and information more
available to people with disabilities.  Patrons with disabilities can now
make real use of libraries, and librarians are welcoming us and preparing
to support us.  This is a real revolution in information accessibility.

Tell all your librarian friends to listen in.  The interview is transcribed
for the Deaf.  ALA is also highlighting accessibility in the exhibit halls
and presentations at the June conference in San Fransisco.

EASI is redesigning 2 of its online workshops for the fall to help
librarians meet this challenge http://easi.cc.  The WebAIM project,
supported by a LAAP grant,  is another excelent resource:
http://www.webaim.org