EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trevor Wilks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:35:43 +1000
Hi penny,

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling from the responses I have had so far that Deep Freeze is not for me at this point. I definately don't need any more headaches and seeing as we dont really have that much of a problem with dodgy downloads I might leave it alone.

Thanks again
Trevor

Trevor Wilks - Manager
Adaptive Technology Centre
Student Support Services
Student, Alumni and Community Services
University Services
Auchmuty Library
University of Newcastle
University Drive Callaghan
NSW 2308 Australia
Ph-02 49218684
Fax-02 49217410
Email- [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/18/03 01:03pm >>>
Hi Trevor,

I've had to deal with deep freeze for quite a while now.  The major problem
that I had was that Dragon NaturallySpeaking did not allow for saving speech
files to an alternative folder/location.  I believe that that has changed
with version 6 and 7 DNS.

Kurzweil 3000 saves its users files under the My Documents -- Kurzweil 3000
folders.  Our My Documents folder was located on the "thawed" or D:\ drive
so students could save their files.  What they could not save were there
user profiles.  They would have to go in and set up their profiles each
time, unless, I turned off deep freeze while we set up their profiles.  The
same applied to Jaws.  ZoomText was pretty much no problem as it was easily
adjusted by the user each time.

It's been awhile since I have worked with deep freeze since our software is
so out of date that we couldn't run it on Windows 2000 and I'm still
awaiting delivery on all of our updated XP compatible (supposedly) Jaws,
ZoomText, Kurzweil 1000, Kurzweil 3000, and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

One solution would be to run things on the network.  Unfortunately, our
network would not support this.
Please let me know if you come across any solutions for the problems that I
mentioned.  I still have to work with deep freeze & Windows XP.

Take care, Penny