CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 02:25:38 -0400
Q. Anarchism a philosophical position for the perfect human beings?

A. What a joke!! Talking to many anarchists youıd think that only saints
could join the anarchist movement.  What many anarchists seem to
conveniently forget is that we all bring our own demons to the anarchist
movement.  Each and every one of us brings our own cultural, familial,
sexual and racial baggage with us when we join the movement.
The difference between anarchism and most other philosophical positions, is
that anarchists understand that people are born with feet of clay.  Itıs
that understanding of the potential frailties of human nature that has
underlined anarchismıs aversion to rulers.  Anarchists want to abolish the
state because they know what can happen when a Pol Pot, Stalin or Hitler
seizes state power.  The very core of anarchist thought revolves around the
rejection of ideas of rulers because of individual human shortcomings.
The difference between anarchists and other activists is that we understand
that there is no room for sexist, racist and authoritarian behaviour and
attempt (not always successfully) to overcome these traits.  On the other
hand, racists, sexists, authoritarians see nothing wrong with their
behaviour, they gain a sense of purpose from their position.  Although most
anarchists are by no means perfect, they at least have some insight into
their own shortcomings and in most situations attempt to introduce some
change in their behaviour.  The strength of anarchism as a personal
philosophy is that it attempts to subvert and breakdown those structures
which give people institutional and structural power over other people.
So if you think that you are joining an organisation for perfect people,
when you join an anarchist group forget it.  Anarchists carry the same
potential baggage as the rest of the community.  Sometimes they successfully
overcome this baggage, other times they donıt.  The difference between
anarchists and other groups is that we understand the limitations of
individual human behaviour, thatıs why we want to abolish those structures
and institutions that concentrate power in the hands of individuals.

From Anarchist Age Weekly Review No. 362

--
What we don't know keeps tha contracts alive and movin'
They don't gotta burn tha books, they just remove 'em