CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matthew Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 10:34:09 -0700
On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Wat Tyler wrote:

> I suppose Tony Hollick would like to have the Vietnam War veterans treated
> as heroes. Why would that be?
>
> Tony Hollick wrote:
> >    Neither Sheehan, Vann, myself or Ranelagh are promoting (or apologizing
> >for) the 'official line.'  The 'official line' on Vietnam now seems to be to
> >_forget_ it, which is one of the reasons why there were 250 000 US military
> >veterans homeless this last bitter winter, many of them Vietnam War veterans.
> >I think this is _execrable cruelty_.
>
> -- Wat Tyler

I agree that it is a travesty that there are 250000 homeless veterans; but
this is a travesty because it is a travesty for anyone to be homeless,
not because veterans should be treated as a heroes.

m@2