CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 15:37:47 -0700
Harry Veeder wrote:

>A banking system could be devised with the authority to issue some sort
>of secure income for *living* to everyone. It is NOT necessary to use the
>federal government to extract money from people (in the form of taxes) to
>pay for such system of secure income.
Sorry, I can't see that. The reason money is a medium of exchange is
because it has value. Money's a measure, crude to be sure, of the wealth
a society produces, the possessor of which can exchange for some part of
that wealth. If the "income" is being printed on paper, without any
relationship to underlying economic activity, it's worthless. Why would I
exchange something I produced by the sweat of my brow for something that
required no labor at all?

I'm still willing to listen. You said there is historic antecedent for
what you are proposing. Why not give us the details? One picture is worth
a thousand words of theory.

_________
Tresy Kilbourne, Seattle WA
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless
series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." --H.L. Mencken