CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 08:03:32 -0700
Can any of you tell me anything about David Horowitz, the right-wing
writer who used to be a well known left winger during the 60s? He just
came to speak at our campus the other day, and unfortunately, I hadn't
known enough about his background to come up with a good statement to make
during the question/answer period. Basically, he seems to be an extreme
personality in general, but just switches what he is supporting. He takes
the view that the terms 'liberal' and 'communist' are synonymous, and he
spoke of a lot of conspiracy theories that the left wing used to take
direct orders secretly obtained from Stalin, and even today, if you give
the liberals enough power, they will immediately be setting up gulags
again (what he is doing here is this practice that right wingers always
accuse liberals of, in 'trying to be victims'). He went into tangents
about how the only reason anyone is poor is character disorder, there is
something wrong with women who
don't want children, and three should be 3X as many police officers and
minor repression is acceptable.
 He said that most of academia is awash in marxism and there are all these
anti-free speech & thought professors trying to suck students in to do
their evil bidding(I don't know what school he's talking about. Most
college students are science/business majors, and the most 'PC' teacher
i've had other than a economics professor who required maintenance to a
right wing orthodoxy, was a neurobiology professor who *suggested* that we
should read the sand county almanac. Sure there are some liberal colleges
like Wellesley out there, but why aren't Brigham Young, Baylor, the 250+
bible colleges in the USA included in this equation). He spent quite a bit
of time singling out Noam Chomsky as the #1 great satan.  After this a
member of the audience outlined a plan to send all the liberals to a
island before we can set up a Gulag again, to the cheers of all, and then
when a ISO member (who personally bothers me because he's sort of an
ideologue) tried to ask a question during the Q&A period, the whole
audience tried to shout him down and threatened to hurt him, and one guy
even did a Hitler salute.

But anyway, (sorry for the long post), I was wondering if anyone could
give me any details on this guy's background. Our student newspaper editor
is the head of the college republicans and is printing only letters of
praise for this guy.
Christine P.