CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 18:24:10 +1000
Robert G. Grimes wrote:

>Sure wish we could trust some folks out there....

Why Bob? Why do you feel the need to blindly follow (trust) someone? Why do
you think that this is the solution to humanity's problems?

If our leaders betray our trust then we are necessarily part of the
problem. If we didn't trust them, they wouldn't be able to betray that
trust would they? We should realise that we have no right and more
importantly - no NEED - to trust in leaders.

Instead, lets make them fully accountable to the people. But because
accountability is incompatable with trust, as long as people demand
trustworthy leaders they are abrogating responsibility, being
irresponsible.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.