CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Meecham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:40:24 -0800
The standard and accepted view of capitalisms fatal flaw  is over
production (perhaps more accurately called under consumption due
to profits being taken out of workers pay).  It is all to clear that
this is accurate; in the prime case the great depression, the over
production hit virtually everything, except the hype from gov't and
the very rich.  Even food, as is well known was over-produced while
millions were in semi-starvation.

A closely related factor is the tremendous amount of money which
goes int 'management' to keep the workers working that extra half
time for the owners.  And in addition there is the money (1/2 trillion
per year) which goes into sales and everything related to it in order
to try to push the over produced goods.

To have an example: GM , typical of corps., consider the revenue (found
after deducting costs of materials); and consider workers wages.  Wages
come to 1/2 of the revenue.  The remainder goes into profit and mangement
(and used to be some part in taxes--though mostly shifted to workers
by now).  Thus the workers can only purchase half of the cars they
produce OVER PRODUCTION.
WCM