CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fernando Colina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:52:39 -0500
First point:  Could people please indicate when a quote comes directly
from Chomsky?  I'm not sure if we're addressing something he said or
someone else's interpretation.

Second point:

>My dictionary defines capitalism simply as a system under which the means
>of production, etc. are mainly privately owned. This seems like a common
>sense definition to me, what's your definition Noam?

If I'm not mistaken, the point being made is that "capitalists" who rely
on governmental handouts and decrees in order to create their so-called
"level-playing-fields" do not operate within Adam Smith's or Karl Marx's
definition of a free market.  In essence, they are feudal lords
protecting their interests at the expense of a free market (or a
democracy).

Fernando Colina
Center for World Languages and Cultures
University of Massachusetts Boston