CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the philosophy, work and influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 14:07:21 -0400

A. Creating a Chomsky FAQ.

B. STRUCTURAL CHANGES:
   1. Implementation of Several Validation Commands
   2. Increased in the Total Number Of Messages.
   3. List Subject Header.
   4. Limitations On The Size Of A Post.
   5. Subscription/Membership Renewals.
   6. Introduction Of List Topics.

C. Protest about the list.

---

I am looking for several people to help put together a Chomsky FAQ.  I
would like to see several perspectives represented.  If you are interested
or would simply like to contribute "questions that need to be addressed"
please e-mail me privately.  In the subject line place FAQS (for FAQ
start).

For example:

To      : [log in to unmask]>
Subject : [FAQ]
----------- Message Text -------------

The "FAQ group" will create the FAQ and then present it to the list for
critique.

I would like to have the FAQ completed and critiqued no later than
Friday, May 16, 1997.

STRUCTURAL CHANGES:
be required to confirm those commands. See the list header for the actual
configuration.

2. INCREASED IN THE TOTAL NUMBER OF MESSAGES.

I have increased the limit of the total number of messages that will be
processed by the Listserv per day before postings to the list are held.
This number has been increased from 50 to 100.  This will limit the need
for "approvals" of some messages.  On the other hand, this is not to say
that members should post more.

3. LIST SUBJECT HEADER.

I have changed the list default settings to full headers with the
[CHOMSKY] identifier.  This means All posting from the Chomsky list will
have [Chomsky] as the identifier in the subject title.  If you prefer not
to accept this default, you can set your individual subscription options
to "SHORTHdr."  There is nothing special for you to do but send you
messages as normal.

4. LIMITATIONS ON THE SIZE OF A POST.

I have implemented a limit on the size of a post.  This is to discourage
people from returning the entire messages without selectively quoting
only the relevant aspects of a previous posted message.  If this proves
to be a "problem" for those posting "detailed" messages/replies, I will
be more that happy to adjust the line limit up.

5. SUBSCRIPTION/MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS.

In an effort to "clean-up" our subscriber's lists, I have set the
"RENEWAL" option for three (3) months.  This means that many of you will
receive a renewal notice ONLY because you have been a subscriber longer
than three (3) months.  This is not singling out any particular person.
For instance, there are a number of subscriptions set to NOMAIL for one
reason or another. NOMAIL user(a) may have forgotten that s/he has a
subscription; user(b) may have set NOMAIL instead of unsubscribing;
user(c) may no longer exist because s/he graduated or no longer works for
the service provider; and user(d) may be set to NOMAIL because of
recurrent mail delivery errors.   This is the easiest way for me to check
who wants to be on the list.  If you do not respond within four (4) days,
your ADDRESS WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED from the subscriber's list.

6. INTRODUCTION OF LIST TOPICS.

List topics will provide a way to run a mailing list where several
sub-topics are being     discussed in parallel but some subscribers are
only interested in a subset of the topics. Topics give you the ability to
receive list postings in a selective manner, based on the beginning of
the "Subject:" line of the mail header.

For instance, the FAQ group might have FAQ discussions, decisions, and
messages related to what should be include in the FAQ and how often it
should be updated and who will do the updating, etc. For those persons
not interested in the development of the FAQ and has no time to follow
the discussions would not "subscribe" to that topic (FAQ). On the other
hand if a member is only interested in the "philosophy" of Chomsky and
areas related to his philosophy they need only to set their topic list to
"philosophy."  If you are  interested in the totally body of discussions
(as I am) then you would subscribe to "ALL."  "ALL" is the list default.
This is strictly under your individual subscription control.  At any
rate, such a compartmentalized list requires a certain discipline in
order to be successful, as the posters should/must label their messages
to indicate which topic(s) they belong to.

I need suggestions as to what the "topic" categories should be.  Again,
this is not meant to be restrictive, only to facilitate the exchange
among our highly energetic group/list.  If a subject/post does fit a
topic, simply post as you normally would.  To read more about "topics"
see the General User's Guide which is available and can be viewed online
or retrieved from the Listserv FTP server in a variety of word processing
formats.

                http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/userindex.html

Protests about the list:
------------------------

Several members have elected to leave the list regarding various issues.
NONE of these individuals have discussed/e-mailed me regarding these or
any issues.  I respect everyone rights to be a part or not be a part of
any group/list.  However, if you have specific concerns regarding the
list, I suggest that you contact me directly <[log in to unmask]>
or by voice 1-614-338-0322.

I am the List Owner and I have three (3) primary objectives for owning
this list:

1. The discussions of the philosophy, work and influences of Noam Chomsky.

2. To build and run a WORLD CLASS list.

3. To learn, teach, enjoy and fellowship with many of the interesting
   people and great minds that this list can attract.

  * * * With the past in the past.  Let us develop this list. * * *

Please direct your personal comments to me privately.   However, if it is
a "list issue" post it, but be sure you address it specifically to me.

F. Leon Wilson
Chomsky List Owner