CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Abdo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:38:19 -0500
Yes, William, but J. was looking for someone who is against US
government policy to still admit that Milosevic is less than squeaky
clean.      It's that many remember quite well, the siege of Sarajevo,
and the nastiness of the forced Yugoslav breakup.

There is a psychological need to paint one's own side, snow white.
The Left has a long history of suffering from this syndrome, just like
the Right does.     To some Leftists, it has not been enough to defend
Stalin-led Russia against the NAZIs, or Mao-led China against the
Japanese and Chiang.     They felt the need to pull out the airbrush,
and paint a saintly character to the leadership of those countries under
imperialist attack.

All I would say to J. and others who have these 'concerns', is who cares
from the livig in the US and allied countries vantage angle of view,
about Milosevic's defects as leader or not?     We live in a country
(with imperialist allies) that has been responsible for the murders of
tens of millions of people, post World War Two.     (If any have a
problem with this count, I would certainly discuss it further.)

Just because our world terrorism is sugar-coated with the pretense of
elections and democracy is no reason to prefer 'our' side, versus the
'evil' Milosevic.     And yes, Milosevic has stomped on a lot of people
inside Yugoslavia.      Some deserved it, but many did not.

So my answer once again to the question asked by J., is that it s best
to not support in any way, one side or another in the INTERNAL struggles
of Yugoslavia.      Our job is to OPPOSE the government that pumps
millions of dollars to one side of the INTERNAL Yugoslav battles.     If
we don't VIGOROUSLY do that, yes, we are supporting our own government's
terrorism.     And many Leftists are guilty of that.     Including, to a
certain extent, Mr. NC, himself.

Tony Abdo
________________________________
<The 'thousands' have been debunked see Cockburn. The US DID kill
thousands in its recent shrapnel bombing of civilians in Jugo. wcm>

J.- your question is a difficult one to answer, and a good one to have
asked.
<My question is seperate. What should the people of Yugoslovia do? Is it
better to support an American-backed candidate who may not have the
people's best interests at heart, or to support someone possibly
responsible for killing thousands of innocent people?>

Me-
Let me begin by saying that I have posted recently to the Chomsky list,
about the US manipulation of 3 different elections.... Mexico, Peru, and
Yugoslavia.........