CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 16:24:41 -0400
Robert, your candor and modesty is a refreshing change from what often
appears on the left (left academics are often the worst offenders in this
respect).

        I think you correctly perceive 90% of the challenge in educational
method, i.e. getting them interested-- or more accurately, *not* destroying
natural curiosity and interest.  You are certainly on the right track with
Howard Zinn.  Incidentally, Monthly Review Press has just released an
exellent book for high school teachers on teaching about media.-- can't
recall the title off hand though.

        As far as confronting racists with their own racism in a tactful
manner,  I often like to point out the well established fact that young
children are completely oblivious to racial distinctions (as is well know
from experimentation). Young children, (as Chomsky has often noted,
incidentally) are absolutely amazing to observe, in several respects; The
ease of social interaction, helpful support in creative play, language use,
etc. (Of course, granted a normal, nurturing environment from infancy.)

At 12:34 PM 5/7/97 PDT, you wrote:
> Regarding comments that few posts to this group concern things we can
>actually do, I would like to ask any interested subscribers if they
>can help me out with a few situations that I run into almost every
>day.  I am not as intellectually gifted nor as eloquent as the other
>posters, but have appreciated and respected their insights.
>
> For background, the following appeared in yesterday's FAN'S SPEAK UP
>section of the local newspaper (I hope I am not violating too many
>copyright restrictions)
>
>     This is in regard to the comment made about Winston Cup race
>   tracks displaying the C-confederate flag.  The last time I checked,
>   the Confederate flag was a part of southern heritage to honor the
>   hundreds of thousands of southerners who fought for their country.
>   I do not think that people up north who don't understand things
>   like sacrifice and respect for your ancestry should be making
>   comments like that.
>
> Now, my great-grandfather owned slaves and I am not proud of that.  He was (I
>am told) highly regarded as a good man in his society (that
>part of it that 'counted').  I can SAY 'I wouldn't have done that,'
>but how do I know how I would have felt in that society? (rhetorical
>question)
>
> My first question, then, is: what do I say to people who think like that?
I do