CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lawrence Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 08:28:30 -0400
 Andrzej Ziolkowski, Dr.Phil. writes:
>To: R.D.Osborn, B.J.Callahan, H.Veeder, L.Libby, P.King, J.Karns, and
>partisants.
>
>Dear Chaps,
>I wonder you know what is going on. My opinion, you suppose your only
>problem is implementation, arenīt you? But - you think -, on the other
>hand, you have good paid and socially acknowledge jobs and - more or less -
>you take money for academic critics, e.g., for psychological anti-stress
>social dydactics. If any action takes pace, it will be strictly limited,
>within the limits of jobsī risk. You are sell to the system, you accept
>this and stay within it. In the process of social change, you are a
>problem, too.

Me? I'm flattered.  I got laid off from my job as a machnist Friday and was
lucky enough to find employment at a bicycle shop (Lincoln Guide Service,
Lincoln, MA, stop on by) .  I do what I can when I can, and not always
within the system.  I have yet to figure out how to live without a job.

>An exemple of moral illness:
>In Austria, where I am now, there are a lot of public discussions in
>so-called democratic style, as "NATO - yes or no".
>After the decline of the Soviet Union, there is the lack of "no"-proposals,
>of course, and my only argument is constantly as follows: Give me the money
>for few months and for work on a paper on an opposite position in the
>matter of European security, bevor the public discussion starts. Nobody
>reacts and the scheme of democratic referendum goes forwards, with the
>shibboleth: "The Austrian access to the NATO or the war in Europa".

Precisely.  Framing the question is as important, if not moreso, than the
answers derived from a plebiscite (sp?) that exists to prevent true
democracy by restricting the range of apparent choices.

>As if
>the decision making bodies were also personally involved in the play
>"job-on-job-off", arenīt they?
>I was born and educated in Poland. I had hated that system and,
>consequently, changed it. Than, as political scientist, I visited Austria
>and the United Kingdom. And I still wonder about a great disparity between
>knowledge and action. May you help me in this matter?
>
>---- Andrzej Ziolkowski, Dr.Phil.

Dr. Ziolkowski, there are some Americans who spend very little of their time
in front of a computer.  Who, through their interactions with their fellow
workers try to plant questions in the heads of truckdrivers, laborers, and
office drones, the answers to which show the hypocracy of modern American
(so-called) democracy.  Unfortunately, they are all too few right now.
We're working on it.
Actually, most American workers understand how hypocritical the system is.
They just don't know what to do and are sitting ducks for the extreme right.
        -Larry Libby

  "Open your eyes
   And look within.
   Are you satisfied