CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Abdo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:41:12 -0600
Never heard of The Professor, Michael.    But he is certainly right on.
The overwhelming 'free speech' in capitalist culture, is in fact, paid
speech.

So here's my answer to the original question..... What limits should be
placed on free speech?.....   Support all individuals' free speech and
squash it unmercifully when it pertains to corporate entities.     I
don't want free speech for Coke and Pepsi.    Kill free speech for
McDonalds and Burger King.     'Free speech' for DOW and Exxon?    No.
I don't see why we should pay for it?

That's right.     Let's eliminate the trillions and trillions of
paid-for 'free speech' by individuals (before The Law) that have
squashed our own poverty stricken, true Free Speech.

OK.  I'm sure someone on the list will now come to the defense of Ronald
McDonald.      And I'm sure it will be touching.      Shoot away.     At
the heart of things, that's what these corporate enities will do in the
name of 'free speech'.      So, defender's of corporate 'free speech',
advance.

Tony
<Anyone here read Stanley Fish, "There is no so such thing as Free
Speech." Think it's published by Duke Univ. Press where he teaches or
Univ. of Chicago Press. Don't know much about Fish except he's a
colleage of Frederic Jameson there at Duke. Not a marxist like Jameson,
but has a leftish rep, as far as I know.>