CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Coghlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 21:55:58 +0000

Dan Clore wrote:

>It is a definite fact that he has. Consider the Cambodia case, where he
>and Herman compared the Cambodian genocide to that in East Timor. They
>were similar in absolute numbers killed, but the Cambodian was
>exaggerated in the press, including faked photographs, forged refugee
>testimony, etc,

Excuse me. I realise that this is not the main point of your posting BUT:

- what do you mean the Cambodian case was exaggerated?! I work with
Cambodian people daily and hear first hand of the unbelievable trauma they
have been, and still are, subjected to. I have been to Cambodia and seen and
felt for myself the social, political, and more importantly, the psychic
dislocation that lingers there. I stood in the genocide museum in Phnom Penh
and saw the thousands of photos of the dead that the Khmer Rouge ghoulishly
took and displayed. Again, what do you  mean exaggerated? The numbers were
exaggerated? What's it matter if it were 10, 20, 100, or 500,000? The impact
is colossal. A week in Cambodia is enough to see the fear that still lives
in their eyes......or have I missed a point here?

Michael Coghlan.

while the (US-backed) Timor genocide was ignored. The