CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:19:57 EST
In a message dated 4/1/2002 3:41:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> >In fact, if there was ANY religious character to Israel, I would have to
> say
> >that it was PROTESTANT more than anything else, considering its complete
> >accordance and collusion with U.S. foreign policy interests.
>
> The logic of this is poorly thought out. By the same logic the US is a
> Jewish state because it colludes with the interests of Israel. But both
> cannot be true, would so the logic must be faulty.

Hello? That is the point!  -- Assigning a religious character to secular
bourgeois-democratic states is not only "faulty logic", but is opportunistic
and plain incorrect. Israel does not kick the shit out of Palestinian
villagers because it is "Jewish" anymore than the European colonists kicked
the shit out of Native Americans because they were "Christian." The DOMINANT
powers in the world today are acting on ECONOMIC principles, not the dictates
of a religious order. We're not living in the 15th century anymore. As George
Bush Sr. said most eloquently, "It's the Global Economy, Stupid!"