CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 01:33:04 -0400
On Tue, 6 May 1997, Mason A. Clark wrote:

> Harry,
>
>   I'm sorry if I offended you by my sharp put-down
>   of the Secrets of the Federal Reserve book reference.
>   I've seen newsgroups and mail lists bombarded with
>   that stuff and it offends me.

Okay, I understand.

>   The newsgroup sci.econ often has discussions of it.

I'll look for it.

>   William Greider has a new book: *One World, Ready or Not*.
>   I haven't seen it yet but I believe he has some critical
>   things to say about the global banking/finance system.

Oh no,Not another book suggestion! I have too many books to read. ;)

>   Alan Greenspan and associates were put there by the
>   President and the Congress. That is somewhat democrat but
>   the plan of the Fed was to give it independence from the
>   politicians - a good idea.

What impresses me is the power these guys are able to wield FOR THE SAKE
OF THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY, but not for the sake of individuals (except
those who are members of the business community) and not for the sake of
other important communities.

A democratic banking system would be comprised of many new "banks" with
comparable powers to the Fed, but with uniquely designed credit systems for
the creation and distribution money to empower individuals and help them to
build their (non-business) communities. The current private banking
system would be left intact to do the job it does best: servicing and
regulating the business community.

A democratic system of banking would mean individuals and communities
would not have to rely on the good will of the business community. From
the business community's point of view they would also benefit, since they
would not be subject to unrealistic demands from politicians to supply
jobs and income.

Harry