CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:22:38 -0400
>It makes my point.  It shows that the level of the bar has been raised.
Instead of preventing NATO planners from planning the bombing of Yugoslavia,
it forced them to add an extensive PR campaign to manage "the risk of
'provoking a domestic crisis of unprecedented proportions.'"  ...which they
succeeded in doing.

American War Planners had to change tactics since Vietnam.  A sign that the
bar can be raised, and just because the elites learned a new how to jump
higher, doesn’t mean we can't raise it once again.

>But you are not prepared to provoke a domestic crisis of unprecedented
proportions.

Not prepared?  I personally didn’t know I had such power.

Now that I know, hell ya I’m going to provoke a domestic crisis of
unprecedented proportions.

>They know it, and they have called your bluff.

I’m bluffing?

>They have managed you out of the picture.

Ya, we all have been marginalized one time or another.

>> Better luck next time?
>Are you referring to the next bombing?

No, better luck next time with trying to make a good point.

Your point was that protesting was a waste of time and didn’t matter.  You
have failed in proving this statement true(at least, in my eyes, others may
agree with you).

War is a business.  Yes, they expected a protesting, but it cost them dough
to get the cops out there to control the crowds.  And, if they have to call
in cops off duty, that means over-time pay(even more dough!).

If it isn’t worth it to get into a bombing campaign, the government won’t.
The onus is on us, citizens of democratic countries, to do our part, to
affect what we can when we can.

"There are no magic answers, no miraculous methods to overcome the problems
we face, just the familiar ones: honest search for understanding, education,
organization, action that raises the cost of state violence for its
perpetrators or that lays the basis for institutional change--and the kind
of commitment that will persist despite the temptations of disillusionment,
despite many failures and only limited successes, inspired by the hope
of a brighter future." -- Noam Chomsky

No martin, you aren’t ready for this.

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells