CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:58:50 -0400
>> Nor have you seen any on the bombing of Iraq(continues still today),
>> or the violence in East Timor(oh, Clinton can’t call this
>> genocide), or the daily horrors which we just call
>> “capitalism”.

>Just stick to your double standard on bombing, Milutin.  You protested
the NATO bombing; you did not protest the Russian bombing.  Double
standard.  Milutin's moral code is swiss cheese.

They didn't bomb Iraq(and continue to do so)?  They didn't bomb East Timor?
Please.

If your observation about my moral code was true, I rather have swiss cheese
for morale then for rationale.

>So it's not about morality.  It's not about solidarity.  It's about
money.  You don't like subsidizing these activities.  If you aren't
subsidizing them, they don't count.

"they don't count"?  How so?  In what sense?

>>>So can we finally admit that the protests of the NATO bombing were not
motivated by the immorality of bombing?
>>Quick jump to that conclusion.  I think you would have to provide a little
bit more evidence?

>You just did provide evidence above, and you will provide more
evidence below.  You are concerned about your tax money.  You don't
want your tax money to be used for bombing.

I major concern is what can I affect.  I can't tell the Russian people to
stop their government from bombing until I get my own government to.  And, I
can affect my government much more(they rely on me for funding), then the
Russian or Chinese government.

>> I have to admit though, it is much different when you complain about the
bombing of Iraq, or genocide in East Timor(the worst case since the
Holocaust) then when your dealing with the country where all your family
roots lie.  When they start bombing the city you were born in -- it is a
little different.

I may be "nostalgic", but I also hope for a better future.

"To be truly radical is to make hope possible rather than despair
convincing." -- Raymond Williams

And I don't think I need to state here the immorality of bombing and
warfare. This is, if you remember, a Chomsky list.

Who reads Chomsky and thinks it is moral to bomb?  You?

>don't bomb the place where I was born.

I said it felt different, that's it.

>> Now, my knowledge of YU and the Bosnian war is disproportionate to
the amount suffering there(relative to other events in recent history).  So
I feel guilty that I don’t know as much as what happened and is happening in
El Salvador as I do in Kosovo.

>What a guy!  Admit "guilt" about not knowing much about El Salvador
(Where did that come from? The Russians are bombing Chechnya), and
then use that "guilt" as the excuse for not protesting the immoral act
of bombing human beings.

Yes, I admit feelings of guilt, but please make your point make sense.  I
don't know how to reply if it doesn't.
I fear you are using more emotion then intellect and that could be the
reason I can't respond appropriately.

>> But, when people see my name they expect me to know more about YU
and so I’m forced to be more educated on it.

>...and, of course, there is your reputation to think of.

Ya sure.

>> When it comes to warfare in the last 50 years, YU has suffered the
least (per day, very low intensity).  Of course, knowing the more
extreme cases in other places of the world, like East Timor and
Guatemala, puts everything in perspective.

>Not a word about Chechnya.  Like I said, Chechens are infidels.  They
don't exist.

When it comes to suffering, comparing to the rest of the world,
Chechnyans(sp?) are on the lower end.

Of course, if you take up the Chechnyans cause, all support and solidarity
to you.

But, I doubt it.  You mask your concern for the well being of Chechnyans to
prove a personal point with me.

Guess what, ya failed.

Calm like a BOMB!

Milutin

P.S. I'm listening to a new Rage Against the Machine song, that's why I keep
repeating that line.

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells